Getting your dream flawless skin can be hard if you’re not using the right foundation. There are foundations that make your skin look dry, rub off on clothing, or worse make you look “orange”. This can be given solution by choosing the right coverage that’s works best for you.
In makeup, coverage refers to a foundation’s ability to cover and conceal imperfections.
There are four types of foundation coverage: medium, light, sheer and full coverage.
This guide will help you choose the best full coverage foundation that will match your skin tone and make you look your best.
Tips Before Purchasing a Full-Coverage Foundation
- Pick a full-coverage foundation that contains up to 35 percent pigment.
- Match your skin color and tone before picking a shade for your foundation. Full-coverage foundation will give you a smooth layer above your skin so you have to blend it in your natural skin tone.
- Pick a foundation shade that will disappear onto your skin and won’t settle fine lies or highlight your pores. If it’s allowed make sure that you try the product before buying, if not you can ask a salesperson to help you choose one for your skin.
- Pick dewy foundations for normal and dry skin while matte foundations for those with oily skin.
- Don’t use full coverage if your skin is near to perfect. Simply use BB creams or tinted moisturizers.
How to Pick the Right Foundation Color for Your Skin
Choosing the right tone for your skin complexion can be tricky. There are lots of ranges of shades in every kind of foundation and finding the right one for your skin is critical for it to work and blend well.
First, you have to know your undertone and your skin’s shade. Skin complexion may vary but a person’s undertone is always constant. Here’s how to determine your undertone:
- People with rosy skin or those who have flushed pink colors while out in the sun have cool undertones. Their veins are mostly blue on skin and they look great in silver jewelry. They will look best with a foundation that has a redder or blue base.
- People with yellow, bronze, or olive complexions have warmer undertones. Their under veins will look mostly green and look great in gold jewelry. They will look best in foundations with gold or yellow base, and should consider shades in chestnut, caramel, beige, or gold.
- People who have a combination of complexions tend to have neutral undertones. They should consider shades in nude, praline, or ivory.
After determining your undertone, next would be to find out your skin type. There are six kinds of skin types:
- Normal Skin. People with normal skin tone has smooth looking skin that can react to changes in environment. (Oily in Summer and dry in Winter).
- Dry Skin. Feels and looks dry to touch. Can also turn flaky some days. Dry skin may occur naturally but are also caused by sensitivity to skin care products. For dry skin, it’s best to use light coverage hydrating foundations.
- Oily Skin. Starts the day looking fresh but eventually looks slick and shiny by noon. To lessen the shine, it’s best to use medium to full coverage foundation for oily skin.
- Sensitive Skin. People with sensitive skin get blotchy or red when in contact with makeup products. For acne-prone skins, its best to use dermatologically tested medium to full coverage foundations.
- Combination Skin. People with a combination skin type can have oiliness in the T-zone are and have normal or dry skin different parts of the face. Combination skin types will look great using medium to full coverage foundations.
- Aging Skin. Mature women can have fine lines and wrinkles on their face. To reduce their visibility, it’s wise to use light coverage liquid foundations or tinted moisturizers that makes for young and luminous looking skin.
Best Full Coverage Foundations – Top 7 Picks:
1. Clinique Even Better Makeup
Looking for the best foundation that is dermatologist tested, smooth on face, and helps undo damage on facial skin? Look no further. Clinique Even Better Makeup foundation is a Matte foundation that is best for ladies with oily skin type. It weighs 2.1 ounces, and is available in 30 different color shades that match every skin tone well.
This foundation is known for improving skin quality making it clearer and more radiant with every use. It’s also great for covering blemishes, freckles, and imperfections. With a soft matte finish, this foundation creates a natural look even in bright lights. The colors are awesome as they have almost everything for light and dark skin tones.
Clinique Ever Better Makeup is the best full coverage foundation that’s dermatologist-developed which means it uses naturally luminous materials that brightens and evens out skin-tone without the risk of irritating skin. You can use this foundation on a hot sunny day as it has SPF15 protection. This foundation uses broad spectrum SPF that protects against future darkening and works best with Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector and Clinique Makeup Remover.
- Heals damaged skin
- Very smooth
- Many different colors and shades
- Easy to match with skin tones
- Improves skin quality
- Dermatologically developed
- Sun protection
- Very pricey
2. L’Oreal Paris Visible Lift
L’Oreal Paris Visible Lift is the first ever anti-wrinkle foundation enriched with serum, giving you the best immediate result for smoother and better skin. It corrects pigments and unifies skin tone making your skin look radiant and oil-free.
With daily use, this foundation’s advanced age-reversing formula can make your skin look younger and fresher-looking. It has up to 24 hour hydration along with a light fluid texture that blends easily on any skin complexion though users complain that it doesn’t last up to 24 hours. It’s very lightweight as you don’t almost feel the cream on your face. Sometimes your pores may look emphasized especially if it wears out mid-afternoon and you don’t re-apply.
Its the best full coverage foundation that has a soft matte finish that can be used for light to medium coverage. It suits normal, sensitive, and mature skin type. Just a small drop from the pump and this foundation will cover and spread easily on your face. It won’t look cakey or oxidized like other brands of foundations. The best thing about L’Oreal Paris Visible Lift is its gentle formula that doesn’t provide any irritating ingredients.
- Reduces the appearance of winkles
- Smooths out skin
- Corrects pigments
- Unifies skin tone
- 24 hour hydration
- Light texture
- Easy blending
- May emphasize pores
3. Glo Skin Beauty Luminous Liquid Foundation
Use Glo Mineral’s protective liquid foundation if you want healthy, radiant and pinkish glowing skin. It covers well and makes your other makeup like highlighters and lipsticks stand out without looking cakey. GloMinerals contains antioxidants, caviar extract, and a broad spectrum of UVB and UVA protection. So it doesn’t just make your skin look nice, it also protects and nourishes it.
Glo Mineral’s Protective Liquid Foundation has a very high coverage that makes it suitable for people with skin problems. The foundation has oil-free and matte finish formula, which is great for women with acne problem or those whose face gets really oily all the time. It can also hide various spots and marks and makes your skin look relatively natural.
This foundation has a thick texture and is more concentrated than other liquid foundations. It’s recommended to use a beauty blender for this foundation to be easily applied. Great with natural light, this foundation can cover any hyper-pigmentation and will give the right finish and coverage for your skin type.
- Creates radiant and glowing skin
- UVA and UVB protection
- Doesn’t look cakey
- Blends well with other makeups
- Skin nourishing
- High coverage
- Ideal for people with skin problems
- Oil free
- Very thick
- Can be difficult to apply
4. Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation
Matte foundations are girl’s best friends when they want full coverage all day makeups. Rimmel Stay Matte foundation is a very thick foundation that has a great coverage of medium to full coverage. Rimmel does not have SPF, which means it doesn’t leave a white cast when used with flash photography.
People with bright red skin or those with huge pores can benefit from this full coverage foundation. And even with a small pea size amount, it can cover a good portion of your face. It provides one of the best base contours that provide long-lasting quality. Rimmel Stay Matte foundation is available in 11 shades and will minimize the appearance of pores, and gives you a smooth looking skin all day long.
Unlike other glow or sheer makeup, this foundation delivers a natural soft matte finish that helps control shine. The only thing that might put you off in this foundation is its heavy feel (when used as full coverage) which might seem like you’re wearing a mask on. Despite being one of the best full coverage foundation, Rimmel Stay Matte is a little cakey and may cling into drier areas, such as the nose.
- Medium to full coverage
- Has SPF protection
- A little goes a long way
- Natural soft matte finish
- Helps control shin
- Ideal for photography
- Quite heavy
5. Cover Girl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation
Cover Girl’s Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation is a very lightweight foundation offering long-lasting wear that keeps your beauty look great even after long hours of using. This foundation is fused with the smooth finish of a primer, targeted coverage of a concealer, and the bendability of liquid foundations. It feels very light on skin and doesn’t look shiny or oily.
Available in 14 shades, this foundation can match any kind of skin complexion. It comes with a pump applicator, which makes it easy for women to apply on their face. The only thing that might turn you off in this foundation is its finish which might be a little cakey for some but it still offers a good full coverage which can even out your skin tone and make your skin look perfect.
Compared with other foundation, the consistency of this product is much lighter, and its coating isn’t too thick or suffocating upon application. It has a softer fragrance that smells “clean” and lets you feel fresh after application. The scent also subsides a few minutes after application.
- Very lightweight
- Long lasting wear
- Smooth finish
- Great coverage
- Easy to blend
- Does not look shiny or oily
- Comes in 14 shades
- Finish can be slightly cakey
6. L’Oreal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte Liquid Foundation
What is really cool about this particular liquid foundation is the fact that it can be used in so many different ways. You can choose to highlight to illuminate it, or you can use concealer to hide imperfections.
You can even use it with contouring makeup to enhance and define your features. The fact that it is so versatile is definitely a big bonus. Moreover, this product can be applied using a makeup sponge, a foundation brush, or just with your fingers too.
Although this particular foundation list provide medium to full coverage, the fact of the matter is that it does result in a very smooth and clear complexion. This foundation goes on very smooth and provides you with a Demi matte finish that lasts for up to 24 hours.
And yes, this product is moisture and sweat resistant, which is another bonus, no doubt. When it comes down to it in terms of hiding blemishes and smoothing out wrinkles, this is probably one of the best products out there.
What is also beneficial about this L’Oreal Paris Longwear Foundation makeup is the fact that it helps to control shine and oiliness, and also does not result in a white cast when taking pictures.
What is also worth noting here is that this product comes complete with SPF protection, so you don’t have to worry about your skin when you are out in the sun. The other thing worth mentioning here is that this product is also extremely lightweight, so you will barely feel it on your face. The fact that it comes in about 30 different shades or colors is something that you may appreciate as well.
- Hides blemishes
- Smooths out wrinkles
- Absorbs oil
- Controls shine
- Easy to apply
- Can be used in many different ways
- Contains some harsh ingredients
7. Tarte Cosmetics Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation
Right off the bat, one of the things that stands out about this particular full coverage foundation is the fact that it comes complete with an easy-to-build and blendable formula.
This means that it is very easy to use with other types of makeup, and moreover, it’s also very easy to blend into your skin. With that being said, this product also comes complete in dozens of different shades and colors, so you should definitely be able to find one that works for you.
One of the things that we can definitely appreciate about this. Full coverage foundation is the fact that it does not contain any harsh chemicals such as sulfates, synthetic fragrances, Petro chemicals, phthalates, or parabens, That’s making it one of the healthiest products out on the market at this time.
Thanks to the full coverage nature of this particular product, it allows you to reduce the appearance of discolorations pores and other skin blemishes. This product is also moisture and sweat resistant, which means that it stays in place for up to 12 hours with ease.
- Full coverage
- SPF protection
- Lasts for up to 12 hours
- Good for hiding imperfections
- Free of harsh chemicals
- Many shades available
- May cause acne
- May clog pores