A little reddish color on the cheek looks great for most women, but what if you suffer from an overwhelming case of redness that even your makeup can’t seem to mask? This is probably the most common issue that fair-skinned women have.
Redness happens for a variety of reasons: from rosacea (which looks like visible blood vessels that appear around the skin) to sun damage acne or seborrhea.
In order to conceal the redness, you need a great foundation, which is what we will show you in our guide below.
When you use the best foundation for redness, even just a small amount of product will do the trick to help you conceal those red patches and lines!
Makeup Tips to Reduce Facial Redness
- Avoid Harsh Chemicals. Most people who easily get flushed or obtain red skin have sensitive skin that reacts against harsh chemicals such as parabens, SLS, petro-chemicals or sodium hydroxide. The best foundation for redness will contain mild formulas for sensitive skin.
- Use Anti Redness Makeup and Concealers. These products are formulated with the gentlest ingredients that alleviate, protect and nourish reddish skin. These makeup brands are also designed to hide redness without having you cover your face with too much makeup.
- Always Use Moisturizers. Apply moisturizing facial creams on your skin to lock in moisture. Avoid products that cause your skin to irritate like clove oil, peppermint, hazel and eucalyptus.
- Don’t Put Too Much Powder. Too much powder can clog the pores and irritate your skin. When applying powder, do it lightly and just enough to get rid of the glow.
Our Top Picks
1. Clinique Redness Solutions Makeup
Clinique Redness Solutions Makeup is formulated with probiotic technology that helps alleviate redness through daily use. It has soothing oil-free ingredients that evens skin tone when one is more prone to blushing or flushing. It claims to contain anti-inflammatory ingredients which reduces redness and gently soothes sensitive skin. Offering medium coverage, this foundation can also cover imperfections such as acne, redness, and blemishes.
Providing a natural looking finish, this foundation doesn’t crease or cake, or emphasize the pores. It also feels light and is very effective to use in oily areas. Clinique Redness has an SPF 5 which is great for women who get their redness due to sun rays. Although it claims to have matte finish, this foundation has a little glow in it. It isn’t also long lasting like it claims and you may have to reapply after around 5-6 hours. Users recommend using this foundation with a drop or two of moisturizer before applying.
Coming a little expensive compared to other market-priced makeups, Clinique is worth every penny since it lasts for more than 9 months. Giving excellent coverage, while covering the reddish areas or rosacea – this makeup tops our list for the best foundation for redness.
- Effective redness relief
- Soothing for the skin – anti-inflammatory
- Medium coverage
- Natural-looking finish
- Some SPF
- Quite expensive
2. Glo Skin Beauty Satin Cream Foundation
Minimize redness and irritation with gloMinerals Protective Liquid foundation. This foundation contains anti-oxidants that protect the skin from age-causing damage and aloe vera, which reduces irritation and redness. It also has skin-nurturing ingredients, which provides UV protection. It’s a foundation that corrects, protects, and covers skin to reduce redness and maintain your natural glow.
GloMineral’s satin finish can help you achieve smooth and buildable coverage, which ranges from medium to full. It drapes one’s complexion in a satin pigment resulting in a flawless appearance all day long. With its light and oil-free texture and botanical extracts, Glo Minerals helps cover blemishes and imperfections giving an even skin tone.
Formulated with the best ingredients that protect and nourish the skin, GloMineral’s liquid base take cares of the skin with its natural ingredients that are also paraben-free, talc-free, and non-comedogenic. Other ingredients in GloMineral’s Liquid Foundation include Vitamins A, C, and E. It also has green tea, dimethicone and titanium dioxide.
- Great for red and irritated skin
- Soothes and hydrates the skin
- Protects from UV rays
- Smooth, satiny finish
- Buildable coverage
Related: Best Liquid Foundations
3. Illuminare Concealing Mineral Foundation
Illuminare’s Concealing Mineral Foundation is known for its breathable coverage that helps alleviate redness and rosacea. Users can also customize the foundations coverage from natural to full .It has an SPF of 20 that protects from sun damage that can also cause redness.
It also has a “semi-matte” sunscreen that serves as concealer and full-coverage foundation at the same time. However, users complain that it’s a little too shiny for a matte finish. The shades offer only five colors, which may feel too limited as some may have complexion in between these colors.
Aside from redness, its formula conceals hyperpigmentation, acne, dark circles, and irritation under the eye’s delicate area.
- Good UV protection
- Conceals redness and hyperpigmentation
- Good for concealing acne
- Blends quite easily
- Not many shades
- Supposed to be matte but is a bit too shiny
Related: Best Mineral Foundations
4. Dermablend Smooth Liquid Camo Foundation
If you are looking for a foundation that will relieve redness and not cause irritation, this is an excellent product to consider. This is a dermatologist-tested foundation that is free of fragrance, and it is non-comedogenic. It is important to note that this product is more than ideal for people who suffer from various skin conditions and have very sensitive skin overall.
Dermablend Smooth Liquid Camo Foundation spreads evenly and blends easily, so you can get an even coverage t you can build upon. What’s nice is that this product produces a very natural finish, and it is available in many different shades for various skin tones.
- It won’t irritate the skin
- Has UV protection
- Relives redness
- Easy to spread and blend
- Medium buildable coverage
- Might be too dark for some skin tones
5. IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness Cream
IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness Cream comprises a variety of ingredients that can relieve red and irritated skin. This product is loaded with ingredients that soothe and hydrate skin, and it provides good coverage. The smooth consistency of this foundation makes it very easy to apply and spread evenly.
This is a blendable formula that provides full coverage, so you can hide acne, blemishes, spots, and wrinkles. If you need to cover redness, IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness Cream is what you want to go with. This product also contains collagen and other ingredients that will benefit the health and appearance of your skin.
- Suitable for light and medium skin
- Should not irritate the skin
- Covers redness, acne, fine lines, and more
- Easy to spread and blend
- Helps heal and moisturize skin
- Not ideal for dark skin
- Quite expensive