If you’re anything like us and you have dry skin, then you’re probably avoiding powder foundations at all costs.
We grew with this false belief that when it comes to cosmetics, anything powder is a big No-No. That’s until we heard rave reviews of some powder foundations and their amazing benefits. We got a beauty itch we needed to scratch.
We’ve researched and tested and looked for the best powder foundation for dry skin so that we can finally put this misconception to sleep.
Here’s what we’ve learned.
Before Buying Powder Foundation for Dry Skin!
Let’s talk about some of the things you need to keep in mind when looking for powder foundation for your dry skin.
- Make Sure It Hydrates the Skin. The last thing that comes to mind when you’re thinking about powder is hydration, but here’s the thing: the best powder foundations contain minerals, amino acids, and vitamins that nurture the skin and deliver a natural glow.
- Look for a Lightweight Feel. Contrary to popular belief, not all powders are buildable. If you want to get full coverage without looking cakey, look for a foundation with a lightweight texture. That way, you can add multiple layers without getting flakey or accentuating fine lines.
- Find the Right Shade. If your powder foundation is the right color, then it should disappear into the skin after blending. Keep in mind that yellow-based foundations help cover redness while translucent shades work best for fair complexions.
How to Find the Perfect Powder Foundation for Dry Skin
Since there are so many misconceptions about powder foundations and dry skin, it’s hard to know how to find the right product. Here are some tips to keep in mind when looking for the best powder foundation for dry skin.
- Types of Powder Foundation. Powder foundations come in two forms:
- Loose Powder Foundation. When you think about powder foundations, you think loose powder. This type of foundation contains fine and loose particles that blend into the skin, covering imperfections.
- Pressed Powder Foundation. Similar to the loose powder foundation, this one contains fine particles. The main difference, however, is that the particles aren’t loose, but pressed together into a compact form. This type of foundation provides light to medium coverage, and it’s best suited for casual wear.
- Choose a Product That Offers a Soft Glow. Dry skin is usually matte and can even turn flaky due to poor cosmetic choices. That’s why it’s important to look for a soft glow or luminescence finish to brighten your complexion.
- Always Opt for Natural Ingredients. As we’ve mentioned already, it’s important to choose a foundation that helps nourish and moisture the skin. Formulas rich in minerals, alpha-hydroxy acids, and lanolin are great for your flaky and sensitive skin. On the other side of the spectrum, stay away from foundations that contain additives or synthetic preservatives.
- Look for a Long-Wear Formula. Just because this foundation is in powder form, it doesn’t mean that it can’t last for hours or even for the entire day. Although the price can differ, if you do the math, you’ll realize that a formula that lasts for 8 hours will save you more money in the long run than one that has to be re-applied every 3 hours. Not to mention, a long-lasting product will let your skin breathe than compared with one that requires multiple layers to cover your dry patches effectively.
Best Powder Foundations for Dry Skin: 5 Best Picks
1. Mineral Fusion Pressed Powder Foundation
Mineral Fusion Pressed Powder Foundation is the overall highest rated powder foundation for dry skin.
Created to protect the skin, this pressed mineral infused powder will give you a natural look, all without dehydrating your skin. Its skin-soothing ingredients, such as cucumber, Aloe Vera or licorice root nurture the skin, giving you a naturally glowing complexion.
Due to the natural minerals, this foundation contains, you can finally get that flawless finish you’ve been looking for until now. Rest assured that you’ll never have to worry about that powdery finish ever again. The vitamins C and E will invigorate your skin, all while fighting the free radicals and acting as an age-defying solution.
Nurturing, long lasting, and full-coverage, this is the best powder foundation for dry skin on the market today.
- Flawless finish
- Infused with vitamins
- Long lasting
- Contains some harsh chemicals
2. Clinique Superpowder Double Face Makeup
This long-wearing foundation will give you a full-coverage that is suitable for your dry skin. The Clinique Superpowder is a one of a kind powder foundation that will give your face that silky look you’ve been looking for all this time.
The best thing about this 2-in-1 powder foundation is that you can use it as a stand-alone makeup product. Simply build up as much coverage as you need without risking the awful cakey aspect. It can be used on your dry and very sensitive skin without causing irritations or redness.
Overall, Clinique Superpowder is a great choice if you are looking for a powder foundation for your dry complexion.
- Full coverage
- Long wear
- Works as a standalone product
- Buildable coverage
- Does not cake
- Good for sensitive skin
- Not ideal for oily skin
3. Prestige Cosmetics Multitask Wet and Dry
This foundation can be used as a regular dry powder, but also with a wet sponge for a full-coverage and flawless application. It will make fine lines disappear and reduce the appearance of pores while offering you a natural look.
The Multitask Powder will glide smoothly over the skin and will make any spots, blemishes or pores disappear in moments, all without accentuating fine lines or wrinkles.
It’s available in six shades, so you’ll have no problems finding the right fit for your skin tone.
Gentle with the skin and lightweight, Prestige Cosmetics Multitask Powder Foundation is an excellent pick.
- Wet and dry use
- Glides easily
- Great blemish coverage
- Easy to use
- Only comes in 6 shades
4. Milani Even Touch Powder Foundation
What’s really cool about this particular powder foundation is that it features an oil free formula, so it does work very well for dry and sensitive skin. It won’t make your skin oily or too shiny. His foundation is designed to make your skin look and feel very comfortable, but never dry. It comes complete with a variety of ingredients designed to nourish and hydrate your skin, so it’s never dry, cracked, or itchy.
Something that you might really like about this particular powder foundation is the fact that it can be applied with the ease of a dry powder foundation. Yet it spreads easily and provides you with full coverage, just like a liquid foundation, thus providing you with the best of both worlds. Just in case it matters, there is a mirror and a small sponge applicator included with your purchase.
Moreover, this even touch Powder Foundation is designed to provide you with light coverage, but it is also buildable less, allowing you to work it in and use it with various other products.
All in all, this has to be one of the best powder foundations for dry skin out there. And let’s not forget that it is made in the USA, which is saying something. Furthermore, this is professional grade foundation that is designed to be water resistant and long lasting. The only downfall here is that it only comes in four different shades, although they are good looking shades.
- Light to full coverage
- Spreads and blends easily
- Easy to apply
- Hydrating and nourishing
- Long lasting
- Only comes in 4 shades
5. Sorme Cosmetics Believable Finish Mineral Powder Foundation
If you have dry skin and you want powder foundation, that will help hydrate and nourish your skin to make it look like brand new, then you definitely want to give this one a try. This particular formula comes complete with a variety of antioxidants, vitamins, hydroxy acids and more, all of which work to hydrate and nourish the skin.
Moreover, these ingredients even have the ability to help stimulate cellular renewal, or in other words, it helps your skin renew itself much faster.
Yet another thing that you might like about this particular foundation is the fact that it provides you with medium to full coverage, but it is also buildable, so it’s quite easy to work with. Moreover, this powder foundation is extremely lightweight, so you will barely feel it on your face, and moreover it also spreads and blends just like a lightweight powder.
Now, with that being said, do keep in mind that if you expect this powder to be as lightweight as possible, you want to use it dry, but if you want to achieve heavy coverage, use it wet.
The next thing that you might appreciate about this particular Mineral Powder Foundation is the fact that it allows for a silky smooth feeling, all without any harsh fragrances included.
Furthermore, this foundation does come in eight different shades or colors, which means that you should be able to find one that works for you. In terms of being ideal for dry skin, let’s keep in mind that this particular formula does not come with any oils or any ingredients that should irritate dry skin. We do also appreciate the fact that this powder foundation is made in the USA, not to mention that there are also refill pans available for when it runs out.
- Wet and dry use
- Medium or heavy coverage
- Lightweight formula
- Enriched with acids, vitamins, and minerals
- Ideal for dry skin
- No oils or harsh fragrances
- Can be a bit messy